Monday, November 14, 2011

Is my little girl really in PRE-SCHOOL already?!?!

Yes, she is...

Throughout most of the fall we have been going back and forth about whether or not we thought it was time for Maeryn to move on from going to her babysitter Jennifer's house every day or begin attending pre-school instead.  Obviously I'm a very proud mom, but Maeryn is a pretty smart cookie... she speaks VERY well for her age and has excellent social skills (way better than her mom and dad!).  We have loved Jennifer and it really was the perfect fit for baby Maeryn, but after two great years there where she was the youngest kiddo for most of that time, big girl Maeryn is now the oldest by over a year and a half is ready for something more.  After much debate and research in to a few of our top choices, we finally decided to go for it.

Maeryn started at the West County Day School last week and unfortunately has had a pretty bumpy start so far...  After spending 6 days at home with croup and then pneumonia, she finally got to go to school and meet her teachers and new friends. 

Day 1 - I dropped her off in the morning, she seemed excited to be there and didn't even flinch when I left... not the same story when I came back to pick her up.  All the kids were sitting cheerfully at the lunch table for snack time, except Maer-bear, who was on the other side of the room, sitting on the floor, crying.  It turns out when she woke up from her nap and the teacher went to put her shoes back on her, she threw a fit and did NOT want to put them on.  This was a snag I had not anticipated...  Maeryn has NEVER worn shoes all day long.  At home and at Jennifer's house, the first thing she would do when she walked in the door was take her shoes off.  The kid has been walking around barefoot for almost two and a half years and her world just got turned upside down by a poor unsuspecting Miss Suzie! 

Day 2 - A clingy, teary-eyed Maeryn was not thrilled to be dropped off but finally gave in.  Not sure how long she insisted the teacher hold her after I left, but at least she seemed ok with saying goodbye. 

Day 3 (today) - The tears started when we pulled up in the parking lot and continued throughout mine and the nice lady in the rec room's attempts to distract and cheer her up (need to make sure I get that woman a great christmas gift!)...  As I drove away Maeryn screamed while her victim attempted to smile and wave at me through the window.

I know she is probably having a great time making a turkey out of her handprint or playing outside at the playground with her new friends.  That look in her eyes as I drove away probably only lasted a minute or two and and I am certain as soon as she started the first awesome activity for the day she completely forgot about how horrible I am for leaving her there.  Someday I will remind her of this guilt she has left me feeling all day when she just wants to stay out all night with her friends instead of coming home and hanging out with her super cool parents!   

No comments:

Post a Comment